Monday, August 26, 2013

Dear Ella

August 22, 2013

Dear Ella,

I feel giddy with excitement for you!  Monday is your first day of Kindergarten....Wow!!  I always loved school as a kid, everything about it!  I pray that you do to.  I pray that you love your teachers and that you make some amazing friendships.  I pray that you feel encouraged and supported each and every day.  I pray that you always always always know that I'm here for you no matter what and that you always talk to me, whether its something life changing or just about what so and so said at lunch today.  I am already looking forward to our after school conversations.  


You sometimes hide behind your shyness and you say that you are scared and nervous.  I know that you are nervous Ella, just like every other kindergartener, but I also know how excited you are!  I know that you are a confident and strong little girl who deep down really isn't shy at all you just like to warm up and get to know people before you show your full colors.  I get it Ella, I'm the same way!  You are an exceptional student who is mature and listens to your teacher, who loves school work, who loves your friends.  You are sensitive and honest.  I could go on and on. I already knew these things about you, but I heard it over and over from your teachers at the Montessori school where you have been for the past 18 months. 


Since you were 12 weeks old, you have been enrolled in some form of child care or school program, so it was such a BLESSING for me to get to spend the past 3 weeks with you at home.  I have loved every minute with you and getting to know the beautiful person that you are even more.  I sit back in awe of you sometimes and who you have become.  Just very recently, you are changing...acting and looking older.  You are constantly learning the best way to express your thoughts and feelings and I enjoy seeing the progression in all that you do.  I know Kindergarten will be a big change for all of us and I embrace it and am excited for it, but closing a previous chapter always brings a bit of sadness too.


Not true sadness, largely tears of joy and memories of all the amazing times we've had with you as a baby and little girl and then now to see you as such a big girl is a bit overwhelming sometimes.  The funny thing is that I know one day we will look back and think how little you were as a kindergartener.  I know that you are still little and I cherish those qualities about you as well.  But as a big sister and a student in public schools, you are certainly growing up!  There is also a bit of sadness for me just knowing that I can't protect you from everything.  But I can give you the tools to protect yourself and that's what I will do to the best of my ability!


These are fun times Ella.  Fun memories and I just want to soak it all in.  I have loved celebrating all of your milestones since the day you were born and this is a big one. I can't wait to "meet your teacher" and take "first day of school photos" and all of those fun things!


Your new backpack that you picked out is hanging by the door, your new lunchbox is on the kitchen cabinet, your school supplies are purchased and labeled, your clothes are picked out for the first 7 days of school and you are ready!  



Ella Pearl I love you with all my heart!!!  It is a blessing to be your mommy and to be able to love you the way I do and to feel the love back from you every single day!  You are YOU and that's all I ever want you to be.   Always stay true to yourself and what you know in your heart and oh the places you'll go!  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...